Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:15:38 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Plus, pushing many unrelated commits has a drawback as not showing
 > in "bzr log" unless you also use the --include-merges (or -n0)
 > switch, which makes "bzr log" significantly slower.

No.  Push simply synchronizes the histories, and IIRC to push in bzr
you must be a superset of the remote repo's history.  So what matters
to the bzr log view is how you manage your local repo, not whether you
push or commit via a bound branch.  You may need to rebase if somebody
sneaks in a commit before you start your push, but I would imagine you
normally need less locking and a lot less time if the push succeeds.

It's true that if you only ever use bound branches, all your commits
must end up on the mainline, and that may be the best strategy for
some people.  But other people like to commit more frequently and/or
offline.