Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:30:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii skrev 2010-08-21 11.08:
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:36:25 +0200
From: Jan Djärv<address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Uday S Reddy skrev 2010-08-21 00.41:

Seems to me that you are reinforcing Stephen's point. With bound branches,
your branch is locked up until the commit goes through. You can't do anything
while you have uncommitted changes in your source. With unbound branches, we
can continue working on the source even when push is running in the
background, because the source tree doesn't have any uncommitted changes. We
can also give up on the push if necessary and continue committing to the
branch. The advantage seems quite clear to me.

You are ignoring the fact that work usually doesn't happen in the bound
branch, but in a separate task branch.  We can continue to work there while
the bound branch commits.

Actually, I see no reason not to continue working even in the bound
branch that is being committed.  There's nothing at all to prevent
that, since Bazaar takes note of the files it commits and their
contents _before_ it sends changes upstream.  That is why you cannot
make changes after launching "bzr ci" and hope for them to be included
in the changeset.  (This is unlike CVS, where you could make changes
as long as the particular file wasn't sent upstream by "cvs ci".)

This is correct. However any bzr operation like a simple C-x v = fails because bzr is locked by the commit (it doesn't seem to do read-only locks). That is the main disadvantage that makes me go back to the task branch.

        Jan D.