Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:37:45 +0200

Uday S Reddy skrev 2010-08-21 11.38:
Jan Djärv writes:

You are ignoring the fact that work usually doesn't happen in the bound
branch, but in a separate task branch.  We can continue to work there while
the bound branch commits.  I don't see much difference.

If there isn't "much difference" then why is push being discouraged?

Something about history I think.

You are arguing both ways, it seems to me.

I'm arguing that push doesn't buy you anything w.r.t. to speed when sending changes to Savannah. If by both ways you mean "push is slow" and "commit is slow" you are correct. We can just say "bzr is slow" and be done with it.

Whichever way I look at it, I don't see any upside to using bound
branches, but plenty of downside.  So, I am surprised that emacs-devs
choose this mode of operation.

It was recommended here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs. Nobody has stepped up and explained in this detail a better way.

        Jan D.