Re: bzr smart server

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr smart server
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:40:36 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

>  On 21/8/2010 11:51 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Because it's an incompatible environment.  MSYS is a fork of Cygwin,
>
> It is? I was under the impression that MSYS was an extension of MinGW
> to give a Posix shell and environment in which to use the MinGW tools.

MSYS is a fork of Cygwin. It can't be an extension of MinGW because
MinGW is simply a Windows native port of gcc + binutils (then came gdb,
gmake, etc, but they are real Windows ports, without relying on any
Posix emulation layer.)

The original goal of MSYS was to provide a better environment to run
configure scripts using MinGW as the target. Previously it was done with
Cygwin, but problems with pathnames were frequent. The main feature of
MSYS over Cygwin (at least until recently) was that MSYS understand
Windows pathnames, and can translate them depending on the kind of
executable to call: Posix-style for those executables that use the Posix
emulator, and Windows-style for the rest. That was not 100% reliable,
but usually did a better job than Cygwin.