Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:28:44 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
 > > Cc: Leo <address@hidden>,
 > >     address@hidden
 > > Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:52:44 +0900
 > >
 > >  > If not, how do you cope with the bootstrap of a new branch,
 > >  > which takes much longer than writing a string to a file?
 > > It doesn't take very long to create a new branch in a separate
 > > workspace.  It takes the time it takes to unpack a source tarball
 > > if you do it sanely.
 >
 > I was talking about bootstrapping, not about branch creation.

Oh, you mean "make bootstrap"?  The answer is (a) don't do it very
often (mostly use colocated branches, even for typos vs. feature
branches), (b) plan well enough that I start the "git clone x y; cd y;
make bootstrap; make check" process before starting something else
that takes 20 minutes or so, and (c) work on XEmacs, where 80% of the
Lisp is not in the main tree (most especially not calc or Gnus!) so a
bootstrap and test can be accomplished in less than 20 minutes even on
a 5-year-old iBook G4.

 > I just tried to make a local branch out of the Emacs trunk mirror.
 > It took 22 seconds on x86_64 GNU/Linux.  Probably not as fast as
 > git, but fast enough to be a non-issue.

That's much better than it used to be, and as you say a non-issue.