Re: bzr send workflow

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr send workflow
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:30:03 -0400

> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:11:04 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> > Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:24:56 -0400
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > There is a new GNU package called vc-changelog.
> > Does it address the issues for Emacs concerning ChangeLog files
> > and bzr?
>
> Where do I find this package?  It's not in the GNU Software
> Directory.  The only one that comes close is vc-dwim -- did you mean
> this one?

I guess you meant vc-chlog that is part of vc-dwim.

FWIW, I don't think it addresses the problems raised in this thread
regarding the ChangeLog files.  Those problems are due to bzr (and
most if not all other VCSs) not being smart enough when merging
ChangeLog files.  This results in conflicts when merging changes,
whose resolution is a mechanical job of removing the conflict markers
and moving the log entries to the top of the file.

It shouldn't be hard to write an Emacs command to resolve these
conflicts.  But it would be best if bzr itself could merge ChangeLog
files without producing the conflicts in the first place.

vc-chlog does not try to deal with that.  Its main goal seems to be to
make it easier to prepare ChangeLog entries before you are going to
commit a changeset.