Re: base

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: base
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:34:27 +0900

Leo writes:

 > But the minute you publish your screwed-up history to the shared
 > repo, you can not escape being caught (in git it will happen as
 > soon as someone does a fetch) and as a result you lose the trust of
 > your peer developers. The history will then be reset to the correct
 > one (push -f) and possibly also an apology for the screwup.

Well, sure.  But that kind of punishment is a poor motivator in
general, and certainly not desirable in volunteer projects.

This kind of thing is one reason why git has a poor reputation.  I
believe it is undeserved, but it's real.  Just today there was a post
on address@hidden to the effect of "Please please please don't tell
me I can't do X and will have to use git."