Re: base

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: base
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:32:28 +0900

Miles Bader writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 > > This kind of thing is one reason why git has a poor reputation.
 > > I believe it is undeserved, but it's real.

 > It is?

I should have added "in some circles, especially newbies."  But not
just them; a couple of Python programmers I respect a lot made
comments like "git command lines look like perl code" (which may not
bother you but it's a low blow on Python lists).  And that reputation
certainly did hurt git in the early discussion on emacs-devel.  I
thought git was a shoo-in for this crowd (except maybe Eli because of
the Windows issues), but the UI badmouthing kept the discussion going
long enough for other candidates to get serious consideration.

 > The only poor reputation I'm aware of git having is "OMG it's too
 > hard for newbies" (plus a little "OMG it won't work on windows.")

Yes, that's most of what I'm talking about.  Plus a little bit of
"OMG, it's dangerous and it lets you *change history*.  What if you
kill your Grandma before your Mom was born?"