Re: base

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: base
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:25:49 +0200

> The "Windows issues" are quite real. Basically, there's no support at
> all. You practically cannot go to ask about a problem with the Windows
> port unless you're ready to fix it yourself (which would be fine,
> except that we're developing Emacs, not git); otherwise the
> probability of getting a harsh rebuke is almost 100%.
>
> And I frankly wouldn't be the least surprised if someday the people
> involved in the port jus simply walked away (which they are entirely
> in their right to do, of course, I hasten to add).

>From time to time I read the git ml and Windows users are well tolerated
there. I see no resistance to include patches for Windows compatibility
either. Actually, it is not rare at all to see commentaries about the
implications for Windows on discussions of technical issues.

Ironically, things are not so good on the msys-git ml. Too many jerks
around ("too many" = just two or so, but with a prominent ascendancy on
the msys-git project)

> So Bzr, with all its problems, at least has some compromise of
> supporting Windows users, while on git it seems like we're barely
> tolerated :-)

Since the line-ending mess that prevented me to use git on Windows was
fixed, I'm using it without a single issue. That's more that 6
months. OTOH, bzr keeps reporting exceptions and showing stack traces
from time to time, on Windows and GNU/Linux. Maybe I'm (un)lucky.

[snip]