Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:51:58 +0300

> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:13:46 +0300
> From: "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I want to see Hebrew (iso-8559-8) characters even when LANG=C, because
> setting the LANG to he_IL changes to much other things (for example,
> it change the `ls' output, which breaks dired).

You could do

  M-x set-locale-environment RET he_IL RET

from inside Emacs, which I think will do what you want without
affecting `ls' etc. (unless you mean `ls' that is run from the Emacs
shell buffer).

> The problem as I see it is that the characters it the vectors in the
> display table are going further translation and not used "literally".

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  Please elaborate
about "further translation" and "not used literally".