Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:27:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is that a new branch needs to be bootstrapped, which takes
> time.  What I do to avoid that is keep the feature branch around even
> after the last feature I worked on was merged into trunk and committed
> upstream.  Then, when I need to work on another feature in a separate
> branch again, I make the existing branch a mirror of the then current
> trunk with "bzr pull --overwrite" (after "bzr status" and careful
> study of its output!).  Voila! I now have a fresh branch that does not
> need a bootstrap.

For this, local, --no-tree branches combined with `bzr switch' may be
more convenient. That essentially emulates git's colocated branches:

# create the branch where you work:
bzr branch trunk work
cd work, bootstrap
cd ..
# create a bugfix branch
bzr branch --no-tree trunk bugfix#3844
cd work
<hack, hack, hack>
bzr commit
# now you work on another bugfix:
cd .. && bzr branch --no-tree bugfix#3871 && cd work
bzr switch bugfix3871
<hack, hack, hack>
bzr commit
bzr switch bugfix3844