Re: base

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: base
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:48:02 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
 > > Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:33:46 +0900
 > > Cc: address@hidden
 > >
 > > Frank Schmitt writes:
 > >
 > >  > I don't think this is fair. Mercurial, which seems to be one
 > >  > of the two top DVCS at the moment, has great Windows support.

 > > Python's transition to Mercurial is blocked on Windows support,
 > > and only that.  How do you claim that as "great" support?

 > This seems to be about the EOL conversion issue?

About half.  The conversion issue is how to ensure that CRLF doesn't
get checked in by people who use autoconverting Windows software, not
Emacs, to edit code.  (Or maybe the problem only appears with new
files.)  It's *not* about trying to do something sane with automatic
conversion.

The other half isn't documented in the PEP.  It's SSH.  You could say
that this isn't the VCS's job to support, but then, whose job is it?
Python is just going to pass it on to the Windows developers.  I'm not
sure whether it will turn out to be a real problem or not in the end.

 > Anyway, the EOL conversion doesn't seem to be relevant to Emacs,

Neither is Mercurial. ;-)