Re: base

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: base
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:13:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> But the lack of a teachable mental model is a real problem,
>> regularly visible on the bazaar list.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what is a ``teachable mental model'', and
> where do you see such a model explained in, e.g., git's or hg's docs.
> If you can point me to such an explanation, then I could compare that
> to bzr's docs and see if there are any significant differences.

The teachable mental model was something you insistently asked for on
the first weeks of the transition to bzr. It is like the Principles of
Physics that, once mastered, are extremely useful while working with
everything else on the field. Git has simple foundations and those are
explained on several places on the net. See for example

http://www.newartisans.com/blog_files/git.from.bottom.up.php

There is no such thing for bzr. There was some failed attempt of writing
an equivalent document, which tells lots about the "simplicity" of bzr.

Git is a simple model wrapped on a complex UI. Bzr is a complex model
wrapped on a deceptively simple UI. Changing the UI is easy (and there
are lots for git.) Changing the underlying model is almost impossible.

[snip]