Re: Inclusion of dbus-proxy

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Inclusion of dbus-proxy
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:09:31 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> It looks interesting, and I'd like to add it; the question is whether to
> add it to the main Emacs tarball, or to elpa.gnu.org.  If it is very
> likely that many other parts of Emacs will make use of this package as a
> piece of basic "infrastructure", it should go into the tarball.

Honestly, I don't know. It adds a convenience layer for access to
applications via D-Bus; such a layer is offered by other D-Bus language
bindings as well.

OTOH, it cannot be regarded as the default library for communicationg
with other applications via D-Bus, because there are applications which
do not offer introspection data. In this case, the low level functions
must still be used.

> If in doubt, we can add it to elpa.gnu.org for now.
>
> What do you think?

Maybe adding to elpa.gnu.org is OK for now. If we see the majority of
packages, which need D-Bus, are using dbus-proxy.el, we shall move it to
Emacs core.

Best regards, Michael.