Re: base

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: base
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:35:56 -0400

> From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:25:03 +0100
>
> Well, isn't this kind of "existence" meta-physical?  If it hasn't been
> written
> down, and generally agreed upon by all the participants, what sense does it
> exist in?

I don't need to write down my mental model in order for it to exist.

> To really exist, they have to be used and validated by practice.

My models are used by me, and validated by my practice.

> But, note that simplified models are only starting points.  Good
> models have to explain everything that happens.

No, they only need to explain what I need to do for the job at hand.
That's hardly "everything".

> You can start by ignoring air resistance to understand gravity.
> But, don't start flying airplanes without understanding air
> resistance.

Life is short.  Not everyone will want or need to fly airplanes.
Those who won't don't need to understand drag.