Re: document package.el

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: document package.el
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 07:43:17 +0100

On 8/7/2010 2:43 AM, Christoph wrote:

I have a couple of thoughts:
I am wondering, is there a way to give package.el a list of packages to go
download from ELPA and install? I would also want it to use this list to check
for new versions of all packages in the list. Either on startup or on command
(M-x package-upgrade). Also, on a new installation of Emacs I would just tell
it "Go get the packages in the list" and it would recreate my package
configuration on that machine. All I need in version control is the list as
part of my init.el, instead of putting the entire elpa/ directory under version
control and deploying it to the new machine.

I personally think that upgrading packages should be a conscious, deliberate action. You never know what changes the developers have put in the upgrade and what those change would entail in terms of how you will use the package.

Many of the complaints we here from users about version changes stem from the fact that their distros or local admins do automatic updates. The users get burned as a result and take it out on us. Emacs obviously shouldn't encourage such irresponsible practices. You have to hit the button to make it happen.

I will also want to install the new versions along side the old ones, so that I have the option of going back to the old versions if I need to. It is not yet clear to me if package.el allows that.

Cheers,
Uday