Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:10:29 +0800

 On 27/8/2010 7:22 AM, Juri Linkov wrote:
IIUC, Windows defines menu accelerators by prepending "~" in front of
the accelerator character in the menu label, Gtk - by prepending "_".
These two are incompatible with each other.

A common Emacs way would be to define a new underlined face and put it
on the accelerator character.  Then menu accelerators will appear
underlined automatically in tmm (but not in Gtk and Windows).

Or more consistent with Emacs menu definitions would be
to use a menu property like `:key-sequence' and `:keys',
e.g. `key-accel':

IIRC, last time we discussed this, we decided that the latter approach would be best. We also considered adopting the GTK approach and replacing _ with ~ on windows (and whatever is appropriate on Mac), but that leaves lucid and text menus needing to remove the character all the time.