Re: base

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: base
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:25:33 +0200

[snip]

>  > On the long term (or not so long) it is not the most cost-effective
>  > approach.
>
> For the users described above, it probably is.  That's why Bazaar is
> reasonably popular among people who are project managers in
> companies.  They choose one of the well-supported workflows (many of
> which are rather centralized, which often suits managers), the users
> learn it easily because Bazaar makes it easy, and life is good.
> Nothing wrong with that.

Apart from using a sub-optimal tool, right?

I agree that dumbed-down tools are right for some collectives and/or
projects. I strongly believe that Emacs' hackers are no such collective.

(bzr pretends to be a dumbed-down tool. In practice, it is more
difficult to use than the tool that implements the equivalent workflow
(git for fully distributed, subversion for centralized))

[snip]

>  > Do you want to see a file on another branch without switching to
>  > it? Want to temporarily reset your working copy to some point on
>  > the past?
>
> But many users will *never* want to do either of those.
[snip]

Seeing the user as someone with simplistic expectations and needs is a
capital sin in the Emacs religion.