Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:34:20 +0100

> Dear Juri, Thanks for an excellent summary and putting the life back
> into this thread!

Since you brought up the key binding `M-s a C-s' (added by yours truly)
as an example of the obsession with key bindings, I feel responsible
for your criticism :-)

> Rather, a prefix key like M-x (say, M-z for argument's sake) would be
> used for invoking mode-specific "command names".  Each mode would bind
> such command names to actual elisp functions, and this allows us to
> reuse the command names in each mode.

I see, we have mode-specific menus and mode-specific key bindings,
but not mode-specific command names for the M-x namespace.

Maybe it should be not just mode-specific but also context-dependent
in a broader sense.  Some programs provide <S-f10> to pop up a context
menu.  So Emacs could provide a separate context menu and corresponding
command namespace and key prefixes.