Re: Confused about emacs-23 revno: 100005

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Confused about emacs-23 revno: 100005
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:24:33 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:49:51 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Secondly, did this change go to the right branch? A 7000 line diff
>> seems large for the emacs-23 branch. Eg lisp/ChangeLog contains
>> several entries related to selinux; but the selinux primitives
>> (file-selinux-context etc) are only in the trunk, so I don't see why
>> this change ended up in emacs-23.
>
> Maybe Michael meant to commit to the trunk, or committed from a wrong
> branch?

No, I meant committing to the Emacs 23 branch.

This is a sync with Tramp 2.1.19 (as indicated in the Changelog). Don't
know, why there is no email in  emacs-diff.

It is huge, I know (changes of the last 5 months in Tramp). But I do
plan to start with Tramp 2.2, which includes a rearrangement of the
files, in order to solve the heavy load dependencies. This will go into
the trunk. That's why, Tramp 2.1 will be kept in the Emacs 23 branch
only, and I have done the sync.

Carrying new features of the trunk (like selinux) is not necessary for
the branch, of course. But separating new features from just bug fixes
would be error prone. And Tramp 2.1 will live also outside the
repository, also for Emacs 22 and XEmacs. Compatibility shall be
ensured.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards, Michael.