Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 01:13:07 -0400

AA>  b) Arabic keyboard has the ligature "Lam-Alef" (U+FEFB) on the key marked
AA> "B" in qwerty keyboards. When I type this in emacs, I get Lam and Alef
AA> (which are auto-shaped correctly as the proper ligature).

Emacs' Arabic keyboard is based on a patch I proposed, which in turn is
based on typing the relevant keys with the X11 keyboard set to the
Arabic keyboard from xkeyboard-config.  The mapping of U+FEFB, U+FEF9,
U+FEF7 and U+FEF5 to the strings "لا", "لإ", "لأ", "لآ" (I hope those
pasted correctly) come from a patch to libX11's utf-8 Compose file which
I pushed and which was submitted by Khaled Hosny, who has been quite
active in i18n circles.

My guess is that the behaviour you described, given why it occurs, is
the desired behaviour.

But that is only a guess.  I don't read or speak any of the languages
which use the Arabic script, I'm just interested in i18n and pan-
language typography and font design.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6