Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Usage of standard-display-table in MSDOS
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:04:16 -0400

> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:49:03 +0300
> From: "Ehud Karni" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Instead of trying to understand my problem, you are telling me why
> Emacs behaves in this way

Sorry, this wasn't the intent.  I simply didn't see the connection
between your original problem and the code you presented, so I
responded to your "this doesn't work in Emacs 23.1".

Let's back up a little: please tell what is the value of
buffer-file-coding-system after you visit the offending files?

> > > This does not work because `unibyte-char-to-multibyte' does not give
> > > the right result in Emacs-23.1 (it works well on Emacs-21.3).

Note that Handa-san recommended to set more than just one slot in
standard-display-table in Emacs 23 to solve similar problems:

  ;; For NBSP (U+00A0)
  (aset standard-display-table #xA0
        (vector (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0)))
  ;; For byte #xA0.
  (aset standard-display-table (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0)
        (vector (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0)))
  (set-terminal-coding-sytem 'no-conversion)
  (set-safe-terminal-coding-system-internal 'no-conversion)

Did you set both slots of standard-display-table as shown above?

> Because of my coding system (iso-8859, remember ?) the #xE0 should be
> displayed as Aleph, not some 8 bit byte E0.

What encoding does the text terminal expect for Hebrew characters?