Re: Changes to emacs-23 branch and the trunk

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs-23 branch and the trunk
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:03:14 +0200

> I'm going to fix the display-table related problem in
> emacs-23 branch.  But, the diff of the change will conflict
> with the trunk code.  As I'm afraid that it's not a simple
> work to resolve that confliction, I want to apply the same
> change to the trunk code by myself.

It's basically easy:

   cd .../trunk
   bzr merge .../emacs-23
   <resolve&commit>

   cd .../emacs-23
   <make-change>
   bzr commit -m ...
   cd .../trunk
   bzr merge .../emacs-23
   bzr revert .
   <make-the-change-by-hand>
   bzr commit -m "Merge by hand from emacs-23"

The first part just updates the trunk w.r.t emacs-23 so that when you do
the "bzr merge" after installing your change, you only get your own
change, rather than a bunch of others.

Note that rather than

   bzr revert .
   <make-the-change-by-hand>

you may want to check the conflict that Bzr gives you: it may turn out
to be just as easy to resolve it by hand than to undo&redo.

        Stefan