Re: `about-emacs' - what about the revno?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: `about-emacs' - what about the revno?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:22:40 +0200

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> This has come up before, but the discussion was inconclusive (IIRC)
>> because of 2 reasons:
>
>>   . revno is not unique: two different branches can have the same
>>     revno for two very different code bases
>
> Maybe we should try and provide the revno of the common ancestor on
> the trunk.  I only see two problems with it:
> 1- you'll probably need Internet access to find this info (might be
>   problematic during a build, for instance).
> 2- I don't know how to tell Bzr to give me this info.

I use this in my patched version of Emacs (on w32):

  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst
emacs-emacsw32-bzr-revision-id \"{revision_id}\")\n"
  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst
emacs-emacsw32-bzr-date \"{date}\")\n"
  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst
emacs-emacsw32-bzr-revno {revno})\n"
  bzr version-info --custom --template "(defconst
emacs-emacsw32-bzr-branch-nick \"{branch_nick}\")\n"

and then I save this to a file which I read in Emacs.