Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:29:01 -0400

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> It's better to have all package information in one place.
> I suggest not to lose information that was in finder-inf.el.

It's a bit problematic.  Moving the keywords into package--builtins
necessitates a change in the archive-contents file format, which means
incompatibility with the old elpa repository.  This scheme also forces
key lookup to iterate over all packages, which seems inelegant.

The scheme I came up with is to put the keywords into a hash table, also
stored in finder-inf.el (further down in the file), which maps keywords
to package lists.  True, this is not 100% satisfactory.  What the
problem really wants is a database, but we can't rely on that.