Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Merging Finder into package mechanism
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:42:29 -0400

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> hfy-cmap.el belongs to the `htmlfontify' package.
>
> "Package: ps-print" in ps-print.el is unnecessary,
> because it's in the same file.

Thanks, I'll fix these shortly.

> cus-dep.el cus-edit.el cus-face.el cus-load.el cus-start.el
> cus-theme.el belong to the `custom' package.
>
> dired-aux and dired-x belong to `dired'.

This certainly makes conceptual sense, but I have mixed feelings about
this.  The reason is that built-in packages serve two main roles (to me
anyway).

First, users can make use of Finder and the Package Menu to browse
through the Emacs distribution, and come across (or go looking for)
less-familiar packages that they didn't know about.

Second, third-party packages can easily specify a requirement on some
version of CC mode, or Org mode, or other prominent packages that are
distributed with Emacs but are relatively stand-alone.

>From both points of view, Dired (which is used when you do C-x C-f on
directories) and custom (which defines the defcustom macro) are such
integral parts of Emacs that listing them as separate packages doesn't
seem to make sense.