Problems with open-network-stream

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Problems with open-network-stream
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:34:58 +0200

Hi,

Since a month or two ago, i'm experiencing intermittent network
connection problems with emacs 24. I haven't been able to discover a
pattern, but every now and then, when emacs tries to connect to a local
server process as a client, `open-network-stream' throws an error saying
that the connection was refused. Usually, repeating the command right
away succeeds (so i know it's not that my servers are dying). This
happens with leafnode in Gnus, with dictionary when querying the local
dict server and when sending mail (again with Gnus) to my local smtp
server.

I'm not directly filling a bug because perhaps this is a problem with my
network configuration (maybe my inetd setup), but i'm not aware of
having changed it before the problem appeared. Except for the fact that
i'm running Debian unstable.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas on where and/how to
look in Emacs for a better diagnose?

TIA,
jao
--
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one
works.