Re: [emacs-bidi] API for bidi reordering a string

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] API for bidi reordering a string
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 05:24:20 -0400

> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:06:14 +0900
> From: "Martin J. Dürst" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Overall, the API makes sense. I'd personally put the levels (when extra
> is non-nil) in logical order, but that's a detail.

I don't mind to produce it in logical order, but is there a reason to
do so?

> This function could be very useful for testing (assuming it uses the
> same logic as the built-in display reordering). On the other hand, I'm
> not sure what other uses you have in mind.

As a matter of fact, I don't see too much uses for it, except for
testing and "educational" purposes.  The only other use-case I can
think of is encoding text into a visual-order encoding.  But I need to
implement reordering of display strings, so I thought it would be nice
to have a Lisp binding for that.

Thanks for the comments.