Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Arabic support
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 05:31:54 -0400

> From: 大嶋 俊祐 <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:45:02 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  This appended picture shows a test of bidi-display-reordering. The upper
> case is the case that bidi-display-reordering is nil. The lower case is
> non-nil. The problem is that the characters are ordered left to right even
> they should been right to left when bidi-display-reordering is non-nil. This
> test is in Emacs Ver. 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) on Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

Thanks.  This is a Cygwin build, which is supposed to use (a port of)
libotf.  It isn't supposed to use Uniscribe directly.

So this particular problem could be the result of one or more of the
following factors:

 . Some problem in the build process (I think Handa-san mentioned some
   special actions for a proper build, like link against specific
   libraries).

 . Some bug in the ported libotf, which screws up bidirectional
   display when the text is already reordered.

 . Some bug in Emacs related to display bidirectional text.

The last one seems extremely unlikely, since AFAIU it works for
Handa-san on GNU/Linux and for me on MS-Windows, with Hebrew text.

To summarize, I don't think this problem is the same one as seen in
the native Windows build.