Re: How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs (was Re: emacs XIM input method

From: Shaowei Wang (wsw)
Subject: Re: How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs (was Re: emacs XIM input method and locale issues)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:46:13 +0800

I check the source and I found:
in src/xfns.c: create_frame_xic()
xic = XCreateIC (xim,
               XNInputStyle, xic_style,
               XNClientWindow, FRAME_X_WINDOW (f),
               XNFocusWindow, FRAME_X_WINDOW (f),
               XNStatusAttributes, status_attr,
               XNPreeditAttributes, preedit_attr,
               NULL);
When the locale (LC_ALL)is en_US.utf8, the return value of XCreatIC is NULL.
When set the locale to zh_CN.utf8 , the return value of XCreateIC is OK, and SCIM or IBUS works fine.

I don't know why.

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> wrote:
"Shaowei Wang (wsw)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all
>   I want to use xim program(scim) with emacs and I have some issues here.
>
> My scim works find with gtk programs and other X programs(rxvt-unicode) but
> emacs. I found the locale is the
> key point.

[...]

> I did lots of google searchs. Some guy said it is the Xorg problem and
> others said it's the font (may be font path) problem.
> But how do we explane that other X program works fine with scim?

I'll let others do the explaining, but rest assured that getting GUI
Emacs to work with SCIM or IBus is non-trivial. AFAIK you need
third-party packages for that, specifically for SCIM I used to use this
(now I'm using the IBus interface by the same author):

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScimBridge

[Also note that this is emacs-devel; questions of this sort are better
served on address@hidden or other help fora.]

Štěpán