Re: How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: How to get SCIM working in GUI Emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 09:56:03 +0900

Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> writes:
>> Eh?  SCIM "just works" with Emacs for me...  the only thing I changed
>> was the hot-key, 'cause the default (C-SPC) conflicts with Emacs.
>
> Ooh, that's very interesting. It never worked for me and IBus doesn't
> either, so after I found the Elisp packages mentioned in the other
> mail, I just thought that it simply doesn't work OOTB. Nice to hear it
> actually does (for someone).
>
>> [I do set a consistent locale outside of Emacs tho, but that's just
>> generally a good idea.]
>
> So do I (or rather, Debian does, I just don't have to care), but I don't
> really see why that should matter -- the basic experience is "it Just
> Works in any app except for Emacs".

I did have to install the "im-switch" package in debian; SCIM didn't
work at all, for any app, before then.

Here's the output of im-switch -l in case that has some relevance:

   $ im-switch -l
   Your input method setup under ja_JP locale as below.
   The configuration "/home/miles/.xinput.d/ja_JP" is defined as a link
pointing to
   scim
   This private configuration supersedes the system wide default.
   The system wide default is pointed by "/etc/alternatives/xinput-ja_JP" .
   xinput-ja_JP - auto mode
     link currently points to scim-immodule
   scim - priority 0
   scim-immodule - priority 50
   Current 'best' version is 'scim-immodule'.
   The available input method configuration files are:
   default default-xim lo-gtk none scim scim-immodule th-gtk th-xim

-Miles

--
Politics, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.