Re: Linking Emacs with libxml2

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Linking Emacs with libxml2
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 11:26:15 -0700

On Sep 6, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>  (Parsing HTML from Emacs Lisp is rather slow.)

Do you have a feel for how much slower the elisp-based parsing is?  Is it
causing noticeable delays in Gnus, for example?

> Has this been discussed before and rejected?  It seems like an obvious
> idea, and would enable both easier extraction of data from HTML files,
> as well as writing a (simple) HTML renderer in Emacs Lisp.

The various legal hurdles/barriers impeding dynamic library use in emacs are
(mostly?) overcome, and this seems like a fine potential candidate.  I suspect
that ideally we'd have lisp calls that would call a library parser if available
and an elisp parser if not.  What do you think we'd want (in terms of
speed/convenience tradeoff) in addition to parse-html?  I'd guess that we'd
like to be able to parse both a named file and a buffer (but perhaps working on
buffers would lose us the speed of the library?).

I can't totally commit to building anything, but I'm interested in the dynamic
library interface to emacs (interested but not yet knowledgable), and I might
be able to put some time into helping out.

*Chad