Re: Linking Emacs with libxml2

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Linking Emacs with libxml2
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 23:08:40 +0200

> Apparently libxml2 comes with a parser for "real world" HTML, which is
> very intriguing:
[...]
> Has this been discussed before and rejected?  It seems like an obvious
> idea, and would enable both easier extraction of data from HTML files,
> as well as writing a (simple) HTML renderer in Emacs Lisp.

It's an obvious idea, but I think it's a fair bit of work:
- you'll probably want your function to be able to read from a buffer
  rather than from a file (reading from a file would slow down the
  operation to a point where using a separate xml-to-elisp executable
  isn't that much worse).
- parsing HTML is the easy part, rendering it in Emacs is a lot
  more difficult.

        Stefan