Re: Google modules integration

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: Google modules integration
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:33:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> But to do the things correctly, that would mean the merge of the
>> `google-maps.el' and `google-weather.el' modules into Emacs core
> [...]
>> The question is, therefore, is there a chance that we could merge these
>> two extension into Emacs?
>
> Without having thought much about it, my reaction is rather negative,
> since we do not want to install packages dedicated to supporting
> proprietary software.

Not sure, what we need a map API is in Emacs' core for but...

The code could be used with openstreetmap.org maps, too.  This is, what
I play with currently to create images from tracks I run (I use my own
simple code on http://github.com/SebastianRose/org-osm).

OSM maps offer much more detail in lots of places (cycle paths,
footpahts, stores, phone booths...).

Both, OSM and google, use Mercator maps and 256x256 tiles.  OSM maps
start at the date border, just like google maps.  The only difference is
in the URL for a map tile.

OSM is "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0" licensed. See
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

   Sebastian