Re: Google modules integration

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Google modules integration
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 18:36:30 -0500

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:56:09 +0200 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

LB> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Stefan Monnier
LB> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> But to do the things correctly, that would mean the merge of the
>>> `google-maps.el' and `google-weather.el' modules into Emacs core
>> [...]
>>> The question is, therefore, is there a chance that we could merge these
>>> two extension into Emacs?
>>
>> Without having thought much about it, my reaction is rather negative,
>> since we do not want to install packages dedicated to supporting
>> proprietary software.

LB> What about elpa? Could this perhaps be more relaxed regarding
LB> supporting proprietary software? Or should there be a special elpa
LB> repository for it? (Is that possible with the current elpa version?)

You can set up your own ELPA repo, sure.

I think it's better for org-mode to support a generic maps and weather
plugin so users can write Google-specific ones (and put them on their
own ELPA repos) but don't have to.

I was in a similar situation with Google Reader and planned to write an
interface to it until the much better gwene.org came along (thanks to
Lars) to let me read RSS feeds in a sensible way.

Ted