Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:09:52 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars, how about the performance of the set operations (difference,
> union, subset/superset, intersection)?  Were you planning to do those in
> C as well?  They'll benefit from a fast range-memq but they would still
> do a lot of ELisp work.

I was thinking about that, but I don't have any hard numbers to back up
my feeling that those functions would provide significant usage speedup
if implemented in C.

> Can ranges be an opaque type (with rangep, make-range, etc.) so the
> implementation is irrelevant to the user?  That seems the best
> compromise between performance and maintainability.  As long as you can
> read and print ranges in a consistent format, that is.

Like Stefan said, an implementation based on a balanced binary tree
would be more interesting than just a cons cell approach, and I agree.
They could still print as that, though.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen