Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:16:52 +0200

> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If everything was inside a num64-* namespace and a num64.el package,
>> it's a pretty easy implementation.
>
> I think for bignums to be interesting, they'd have to be native in
> Emacs.  It'd suck if you had a number, but had to say
>
>   `(num64+ num1 num2)'
>
> if it's a bignum, and
>
>   `(+ num1 num2)'
>
> if not.  To take a random example.

+ already supports more than one type of number, so it would not be a
problem to add support for yet another one.  But that does not require
that Emacs supports bignums everywhere, just like there are already many
places that accept integers but not floats.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, address@hidden