Re: Structural regular expressions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Structural regular expressions
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:49:57 -0400

Thanks for the explanation.  I think the term "structural regular expressions"
is misleading because its grammatical construction implies a different
kind of regexp, rather than a different way of applying them.

    V/pattern  select all matches
    V|pattern  select all lines with match
    V{scope    select all matching scopes
    Vatype     select all objects (inclusive)
    Vttype     select all objects (exclusive)
    Y/pattern  select everything but matches
    Y|pattern  select all lines without match
    Y{scope    select everything but scope
    Yatype     select everything but objects (inclusive)
    Yttype     select everything but objects (exclusive)

Are `V/' etc. literal, or do they stand for some other text?

Where would this syntax be used?