Re: bzr - how to switch to Emacs 23 branch?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr - how to switch to Emacs 23 branch?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 03:37:48 +0200

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be great if http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
> could explain how one gets to another branch - I have something that I
> believe to be a Bzr repository, with the "trunk" inside it, which I
> created according to that page.
>
> But how do I also create emacs/emacs-23 from that?

On the same directory where your `trunk' branch lives:

bzr branch sftp://address@hidden/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23 emacs-23

or, if you don't have commit access

bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/emacs-23 emacs-23

> The data is surely there, but "bzr branches" only lists "trunk" (after
> several seconds wait).

"bzr branches" doesn't work very well. As the wiki page says (on the
section "Where is Emacs?") use your web browser to see the available
branches.

> I surely won't have to pull the branch from scratch from the server
> (presumably a very long operation)...?

No, if you are using a shared repo, as the wiki page says.

> So, I'd like equivalent to "git branch" (to list the branches) and
> "git checkout emacs-23".

Bad news: bzr is not git. You need to retrain your dVCS-fu to work with
bzr. Practising some yoga will help too.

[snip]