Re: HTML mails suddenly exposing style & markup in Gnus.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: HTML mails suddenly exposing style & markup in Gnus.
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:05:38 -0400

>Gnus has gotten a new HTML renderer based on w3m "built in", but the
>priorities in what types it chooses to show shouldn't have changed.  I
>think.
>
>Do you have the w3m program installed on your system?

Yes:

  $ w3m -version
  w3m version w3m/0.5.2+cvs-1.1027,                                     \
      options lang=en,m17n,image,color,ansi-color,mouse,gpm,menu,cookie,\
      ssl,ssl-verify,external-uri-loader,w3mmailer,nntp,gopher,ipv6,    \
      alarm,mark,migemo
  $

>But if you have, then Gnus should have rendered the HTML all
>pretty-like...  unless you have something other overriding that,
>somehow.
>
>What the value of mm-text-html-renderer and
>mm-inline-text-html-renderer?  The former should be `gnus-article-html',
>and the latter should be nil.  (If you have w3m installed.)

I don't set them in any init file, and their ambient values are:

  mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
  Its value is html2text

  mm-inline-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
  Its value is nil

This is true even within a Gnus Article buffer.  (Interestingly,
`gnus-article-html' is *not* listed as a "defined renderer type" in the
help documentation for `mm-text-html-renderer'.)

After I do (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'gnus-article-html) the problem
goes away and those articles render beautifully!  Thank you for the tip.

I guess we should fix the default in Emacs?  I don't know this code very
well, but I assume it's a bug that mm-text-html-renderer does not have
the value `gnus-article-html' when w3m is present?  Should it also have
that value when w3m is not present?

In the meantime, I guess I'll just hard set it in my .emacs, unless you
have a better recommendation.

-Karl