Re: HTML mails suddenly exposing style & markup in Gnus.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: HTML mails suddenly exposing style & markup in Gnus.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:51:56 +0200

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

>>Do you have the w3m program installed on your system?
>
> Yes:
>
>   $ w3m -version

[...]

> I don't set them in any init file, and their ambient values are:
>
>   mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
>   Its value is html2text
>
>   mm-inline-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
>   Its value is nil

Hm.  The definition of `mm-text-html-renderer' is:

(defcustom mm-text-html-renderer
  (cond ((and (executable-find "w3m")
              (executable-find "curl"))
         'gnus-article-html)
        ((executable-find "links") 'links)
        ((executable-find "lynx") 'lynx)
        ((locate-library "w3") 'w3)
        ((locate-library "html2text") 'html2text)
        (t nil))

So does that mean that you don't have curl?  I thought everybody had
curl installed.  :-)

Anyway, if html2text was the definition, then it should have done a
better job of rendering the HTML than it did.  html2text is very
simple -- it just strips tags away (basically), but you saw raw HTML,
which must mean that html2text doesn't work at all for you.

Which is puzzling, too.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen