Re: HTML mails suddenly exposing style & markup in Gnus.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: HTML mails suddenly exposing style & markup in Gnus.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:14:13 -0400

>Hm.  The definition of `mm-text-html-renderer' is:
>
>(defcustom mm-text-html-renderer
>  (cond ((and (executable-find "w3m")
>             (executable-find "curl"))
>        'gnus-article-html)
>       ((executable-find "links") 'links)
>       ((executable-find "lynx") 'lynx)
>       ((locate-library "w3") 'w3)
>       ((locate-library "html2text") 'html2text)
>       (t nil))
>
>So does that mean that you don't have curl?  I thought everybody had
>curl installed.  :-)

This is a fresh Debian GNU/linux box, so it didn't yet have 'curl'
installed.  I've fixed my box setup script [1] to include 'curl' in my
list of standard installs now.  After installing 'curl', Emacs's
behavior is as desired, and `mm-text-html-renderer's value is
`gnus-article-html'.

>Anyway, if html2text was the definition, then it should have done a
>better job of rendering the HTML than it did.  html2text is very
>simple -- it just strips tags away (basically), but you saw raw HTML,
>which must mean that html2text doesn't work at all for you.
>
>Which is puzzling, too.

Yeah, don't know why.  The html2text program is installed.
But... "mattress in the road" situation.  My problem is solved, and I
have other more important bugs to chase :-(.  Thanks for your help,
Lars.  I'd certainly be happy to do any further testing you suggest.

-Karl

[1] http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/kfogel/trunk/bin/new-box-setup.sh