Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Wojciech Meyer
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 00:33:09 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Tom> For the concurrency stuff, we did two kinds of automated rewriting.
>
> Wojciech> If you could point me out with the tools you used for this
> Wojciech> job, I would be grateful, any points to git?
>
> It is in the concurrency branch in Emacs bzr.  I assume this is mirrored
> in git, but I'm not sure.
>
> I can email you the two .el scripts if you like, plus the little GCC
> patch I had to use to get the right location for the -> tokens.  Just
> let me know.

Yes please, I would like to take a look, thanks.

> Wojciech> Any chances to get it back to life?
>
> I have zero (really negative) free time.  But yes, it can be
> resurrected.  One starting point would be doing a merge from trunk.
> Giuseppe did this but ran into problems... I still don't really know
> the details, just that things changed on trunk in some conflicting
> way.

Yes, I saw some of the work that had been done, and posts on ML.

> Wojciech> Shall we setup a public repo somewhere then?
>
> We had one on gitorious.  But I think if you are going to try to work
> on trunk you should just use bzr.  Or at least use the semi-official
> git mirror when preparing patches.

I am just not sure how efficiently and reliably branches work in bzr
(I've managed to screw up some of my work once with bzr), and I am not
sure how reliable are git mirrors. I quite like git, however there is a
cost of troubles with integration with bzr. On other hand I find forking
<-> merging unacceptable. I will try to mock something up, in the
meantime.

BTW: If somebody would like to enlighten me on how reliably mirrored git
works with the Emacs source tree, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Wojciech

PS: sorry this time sent from gmail.