Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Wojciech Meyer
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:10:27 +0100

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2010-09-14 20:32 +0100, Tom Tromey wrote:
>>> As I recall, in my profiles, the GC and the regexp matcher were more
>>> costly the bytecode interpreter (though of course this is
>>> workload-dependent).
>>
>> Regarding regexp matcher, do you know if performance will be improved by
>> using pcre?
>
> You can't just switch to other regexp engines because they don't offer
> all Emacs features.

We could transform syntax from Elisp like to pcre using string substitution
on the fly. For the features not present in pcre just use different
set of functions,
regexp is self contained it is just a string.
Compiling regexp to a native code using gcc or GNU lightning (or any
other framework),
could also be a solution.

> Andreas.

Wojciech