About mailing lists & digest mails: MIME mails from emacs mailing lists

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:56:05 +0900

dhruva writes:

 >  I subscribe to digest mails on emacs-devel list. Though I use MIME
 > format, I do not get topics in the digest mail with hyperlinks to
 > jump to that topic in the mail.

That's right.  Mailman uses plain or MIME digests, not HTML digests.
Please followup to address@hidden, preferably with a
patch.

Rationale:

It would not be that hard to add to Mailman an HTML digest generator
that could be used by a text-only list like emacs-devel, and a
per-user option to enable it.  But I doubt that any of the usual
suspects will volunteer to do so, because it would not be generally
useful.  Rather, most people would want it to work with all kinds of
mail in the digest, and that would be a lot of work to do at all, and
very hard to do acceptably well.

OTOH, a MIME digest is simply a sequence of RFC 822 message parts, so
navigation is trivial.  It should be left to the MUA.  A decent MUA
will offer you at least the options of (1) "exploding" the digest so
that the messages are integrated with existing threads in your inbox,
or (2) reading the digest as a folder.