Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:13:48 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:17:05 +0200
>
> Unless I've misunderstood how buffers and strings work, which is a very
> high possibility.

What aspects of buffers and strings you think you might not
understand?  Ask here any specific questions you have.

> Is there an architectural overview of the Emacs internal anywhere?

See the "Object Internals" node in the ELisp manual.  Buffers are
described there, but strings are not.  OTOH, a Lisp string is a fairly
simple object, so you should be able to grasp it by looking at the
definition of `struct Lisp_string' in lisp.h and how strings are
allocated and handled in alloc.c.  (There are subtleties about strings
and buffers when Emacs allocates large chunks of memory, but I don't
think those subtleties matter in the context of this discussion.)