Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:16:25 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

>>> most-positive-fixnum is a variable defined in `data.c'.
>>> Its value is 2305843009213693951
>>
>> And by that you mean "yes" or "no"?
>>
>> (format "%x" most-positive-fixnum)
>> => "1fffffffffffffff"
>>
>> That's at least a few bits less than MAX_INT, isn't it?
>
> $ printf '#include <limits.h>\nINT_MAX\n' | gcc -E -xc - | tail -n1
> 2147483647

You're being rather gnomic.  That most-positive-fixnum is a 64-bit
number in your Emacs, but that you have an include file somewhere that
says that INT_MAX is a 32-bit number doesn't really make much sense.

On a 32-bit machine, this is what I get.

(format "%x" most-positive-fixnum)
=> "fffffff"

Instead of posting these snippets, it would make the discussion go much
quicker if you actually said what it is you were trying to convey by
posting these numbers without comment.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen