Re: e and pi

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: e and pi
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:55:51 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

Now, we have a lot of offending (defvar <foo>) in Emacs currently, so we
will want to fix them, and to get things started, we want to fix the two
predefined float constants `e' and `pi'.

why does the constant e exist in the first place?
e=exp(1) and that is what people should use instead of the constant.
the compiler should recognize that exp(1) is a constant and compute it at compile time.