Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:40:45 +0200

> Then, again, it looks like David has discovered at least one bug
> (texts with different values of multibyteness), maybe more (bounds
> checking and integral type confusion), in your "totally trivial"
> implementation already.

Well, I didn't say the trivial code was bug-free.  :-)

> First, I'm curious which machine and what data (buffer) you're using
> that took 9 seconds to run that benchmark.

I was running it over the gnus-sum.el file.

> So, is it really Gnus's habit to execute that form 10,000 times in a
> loop so that its execution time dominates the user's perceived lag
> time?  I bet that most uses involve parsing 20-40 RFC 822-style
> headers, and the rest parse lines lazily.  If so, even the reported 9
> second benchmark really amounts to a total of 50-100ms, which is less
> than the "just noticable difference" for a fast human.

The reason I thought of this again now is that I'm doing IMAP handling.
The only way in IMAP to get info on marks and stuff it to get one line
per message, so if you have a 100K mail box, it's going to take some
time to sync up your marks.

Your example of "20-40" is somewhat irrelevant.  Of course everything is
fast enough if you just have little enough data.  The problem is getting
things to work fast enough in the presence of a lot of data.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen