C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Miles Bader
Subject: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 10:49:19 +0900

I notice that various deletion commands will now delete an active
region.  The most obviously useful to newbies is DEL (aka backspace),
as that's what other platforms use, and I don't have any problems with
that (and I might even use it occasionally)

However, the effect of "C-d" deleting the active region has been
driving me nuts for quite a while.  I accidentally end up deleting
something I didn't intend to about 10-15 times a day... usually I
notice and am annoyed but can immediately hit undo, but occasionally I
don't immediately notice, and end up being very very confused until I
reconstruct what happened.

I thought I might get used to it after a while, but so far, despite
the frequency with which it happens, it's every bit as annoying as it
was when it first started happening.

Is there any particular _reason_ for C-d to have this effect?  C-d is
not a binding used by other platforms, so it has no obvious utility as
newb-bait, and it's no more convenient than C-w.  It seems almost
entirely pointless.

I propose removing this functionality from C-d.  If mac/windows users
want to delete a region, they can use DEL (backspace).

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Bigot, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that
you do not entertain.